James E. Crossan
Jim is a civil litigator and business lawyer who serves as the Director of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. He applies an in-depth knowledge of litigation and critical decision-making skills to foster and create effective working relationships with his clients. Jim’s practice focuses on contract disputes and he works directly with individuals and corporate entities in a wide range of civil matters including construction, real estate, estates and trusts, and banking and finance.
Jim is experienced in all phases of litigation and has spent his entire legal career as a civil litigator practicing in Maryland State and federal courts, the Superior Court of the District of Columbia, and administrative agencies. Acting as outside business counsel to many of his business clients, Jim provides pragmatic advice to executives on strategic business decisions including regulatory compliance requirements, negotiation, formation and interpretation of contracts, employment agreements, and leases.
Jim’s goal is to be a valuable resource for his clients by providing the assets necessary to resolve their legal problems. With Jim’s involvement, his clients are well equipped to tackle business disputes in a manner that minimizes the distractions and costs associated with those disputes.
- Successfully defended a national home builder in cases involving burst sprinkler pipes.
- Represented a custom home builder and recovered damages related to a defective building product.
- Handles defense and prosecution of mechanic’s lien cases for property owners, general contractors, and sub-contractors.
- Collects outstanding balances from commercial customers of a national supplier of gas and electricity.
- Assists real estate purchasers and sellers in both defense and prosecution of construction defect and latent defect issues.
- Represented the trustee of a Special Needs Trust in an argument between beneficiaries concerning the disbursement of Trust assets.
- Represent a personal representative in a dispute regarding the administration of estate assets.
- Advises employers and employees in disputes over non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
- University of Baltimore School of Law (J.D.)
- University of Maryland, College Park (B.A.)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Bar Associations of Anne Arundel County, Baltimore City, Baltimore County, and Howard County
- Federal Bar Association
- Associated Builders & Contractors, Inc., Chesapeake Shores Chapter
- Anne Arundel Commmercial & Industrial Association
- American Bar Association
- Soccer Association of Columbia