Thomas W. Simmons
Annapolis Corporate Park
181 Harry S. Truman Parkway
(410) 266-7699 (fax)
Areas of Practice
Thomas W. Simmons
Tom Simmons is a Partner with Liff, Walsh & Simmons, the Director of the Real Estate Practice Group, and a member of the Business Law, and Commercial Finance Practice Groups. Tom regularly represents clients in all aspects of real estate, business and finance transactions including mergers and acquisitions, land acquisition, development, leasing, and disposition, as well as the financing of the same. Additionally, Tom is Vice President with Eagle Title, LLC, the firm’s affiliated title company, and the Director of the Commercial Division, overseeing all of the company’s commercial transactions. Tom prides himself on his relationship focused approach to the deal making process to ensure his client’s goals and priorities remain at the forefront of every transaction. His broad range of experience and practical approach to problem solving allows him to facilitate even the most complex transactions. Tom has been recognized by his peers both as a Super Lawyer "Rising Star" and as a "Leading Lawyer" in Anne Arundel County.
Tom graduated from the Severn School and subsequently obtained his undergraduate degree from Gettysburg College. Upon graduating from Gettysburg, Tom attended the Florida State University College of Law where he obtained his Juris Doctor. Tom began his career serving as a Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable William C. Mulford, II, at the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Tom currently resides in Anne Arundel County with his wife and children and is actively involved in his community. Mr. Simmons has served on the boards of a numerous of local organizations and currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Building Traditions Society for the Anne Arundel Medical Center Foundation.
- Served as title counsel for a $40 million waterfront development project involving a $20 million construction and development loan.
- Served as title counsel for the development of a $40 million hotel project involving a series of construction and development loans totaling $29 million.
- Served as title counsel relative to a $16 million loan for the purpose of converting an existing apartment complex to luxury condominiums.
- Served as local counsel for a healthcare group during a $15 million recapitalization to negotiate and obtain lease assignments for 11 Maryland locations.
- Represented a financial institution in financing a series of shopping center pad site acquisitions in several different states across the country with an aggregate loan amount in excess of $10 million.
- Represented a developer in pre-leasing a 36,000 square foot shopping center during development and construction of the center.
- Represented a landlord in the leasing of a 40,000 square foot shopping center.
- Served as an expert witness in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland and provide testimony which successfully eliminated the lien priority of various competing creditors.
- Represented a financial institution and served as title counsel relative to a $3 million acquisition loan for a commercial condominium in Washington D.C.
- Represented a financial institution and served as title counsel relative to the $3.4 million refinance of a marina.
- Represented a financial institution to finance the acquisition of a portfolio of 30 investment properties.
- Represented a financial institution in the modification and restructuring of a $6 million hotel construction and development loan.
- Represented a EB5 Lender in a mezzanine financing transaction relative to a $25 million Apartment Development in Washington, DC.
- Successfully represented a national railway carrier and a department of local government to quiet title to land to be utilized in a public private partnership for the expansion of the railway.
- Served as title counsel for the redevelopment of a Marina involving a $3.5 million construction loan.
- Served as title counsel for the acquisition and development of a 72 acre farm involving a $3 million development loan.
- Florida State University College of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Gettysburg College (B.A., cum laude, 2005)
- Anne Arundel Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Ann Arundel Commercial Industrial Association
- American Bar Association
- Maryland Building Industry Association
- American Land Title Association
- Maryland Land Title Association