Job Title: Legal Assistant
Reports to: Practice Group Leaders
- Document Management: Organize and maintain legal documents, including correspondence, pleadings, contracts, and case files. Ensure all documents are filed accurately and timely from opening through closing of files.
- Client Interaction: Assist in managing client inquiries, scheduling appointments, and maintaining excellent client relations with clients, court clerks and agency staff. Serve as a point of contact between clients and attorneys.
- Research: Conduct legal research using online databases, legal libraries, and other resources to assist attorneys in case preparation and strategy development.
- Calendar Management: Manage attorney calendars, including scheduling meetings, court appearances, and deadlines. Provide timely reminders to ensure compliance with all legal requirements.
- Drafting: Assist in drafting legal documents, such as engagement letters, contracts, pleadings, and correspondence. Proofread and format documents for accuracy and compliance with legal standards.
- Filing and Court Filings: Prepare and file legal documents with the appropriate courts and agencies. Monitor court deadlines and ensure compliance with filing requirements. Assist in filing applications for administrative approvals.
- Billing and Accounting: Assist with tracking billable hours, preparing invoices, and managing client billing inquiries. Maintain accurate financial records.
- Administrative Support: Perform general administrative tasks, including answering phones, managing mail, and maintaining office supplies.
- Case Management: Assist attorneys in case management, including organizing and summarizing case information, maintaining case databases, and assisting with trial preparation.
- Confidentiality: Handle sensitive and confidential information with the utmost discretion and maintain the highest level of professionalism
- Other Duties: Provide administrative support where needed in the firm to cover support gaps due to vacations and absences and complete special projects when available. Perform other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including outlook, word, excel.
- High level of initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Commitment to continuous learning.
- Positive, proactive and professional attitude.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, excelling at stress free productivity.
Education and Experience:
- Paralegal certification or equivalent work-related experience.
- 1-3 years of related experience as a legal assistant or administrative assistant.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment.
- Active Maryland Notary or desire to personally pursue upon hiring.
This is a terrific opportunity to join a culture-orientated growth company. The position is a full-time, in-office position with competitive benefits. Liff, Walsh & Simmons is an equal-opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Interested candidates should submit cover letter and resume to careers@LiffWalsh.com.